Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Feeling Kinda Uncreative

What's Playing in my Head: "Layla", by Derek & The Dominos (Not the beginning part everyone knows, the one starting with the piano bridge at 3min. 11sec., you know, the part that's in that scene in GoodFellas)

Quote of the Day: "You don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke, don't do shit." - Lawrence, "Office Space"

Today is just one of those days, the kind where it's hard to get started on basically anything. So I'll make this quick.

Word is getting around the current job scene on my impending departure; it's a surprise to some people, so naturally this leads to the usual stop-in-the-hall-oh-you're-leaving-where-are-you-going-gee-we're-going-to-miss-you sort of conversations. I always feel a little weird about those; there's only so much you can say about leaving, and when you've already told your boss, your boss' boss, your friends, family, family friends, and friends of family friends, it winds up feeling like you're some PR guy, repeating the same pre-formatted statements and public comments like you're talking to reporters.

What would be really cool is if people came up with some new stuff to ask me when they find out I'm leaving. For example:

A: Hey man, I heard you're leaving us.
ME: Yeah, end of this week. It's been fun, but this is a great opportunity that I just couldn't turn down.
A: That's cool. So, yeah, are you planning on dancing George Jefferson-style on your boss' desk before you go?

Or maybe:

A: Hey man, I heard you're leaving us.
ME: Yeah, end of this week. It's been fun, but this is a great opportunity that I just couldn't turn down.
A: Wow, yeah, okay. Hey, by the way, do you fully expect your enemies' flesh to melt away in columns of burning hellfire, Raiders of the Lost Ark-style?

Mix it up a bit, that's all I'm saying. That would be cool.

2 Comments:

At September 19, 2006 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, creativity starts at home. If you *did* dance Goerge Jefferson-style on your boss's desk, or pull a Wally (from Dilbert) and show up to work without pants, I bet the questions you were asked would get a lot more interesting.

 
At September 19, 2006 3:13 PM, Blogger B.C. said...

Good point. I think I need to do some brainstorming tonight...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home